TOPIC: Formula 1 2018
6 months 3 weeks ago #11432
  • Clippy
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 136
Feeling pretty glum about the state of F1 in 2018 tbh. Pretty much not missed a race in 35 years through all its different iterations, and its only that time invested in the "sport"
that has seen me tune back in to the new season, albeit with a heavy heart.
The cars look and sound awful, the ridiculous over engineering of aero, the mickey mouse DRS, a sticky plaster brought in by the FIA to fix a problem of their own making, the reliance on aero over mechanical grip, and cars unable to follow to set up a pass, because of the "dirty air", how many years have we had to listen to that phrase ?
And the straw that broke the camel, Lewis turning down his engine 5 laps from the end of the "race" unable to chase down his opponent to a grandstand finish, because of concerns over engine reliability rather than performance, with the allocation now 3 for the year. And there was Chase Carey telling us about the spectacle of Formula One. ! .. am I missing something, is it not suppose to be a build up with a climactic race to the finish ?... Denied.

F1 IS a spectator sport but without the spectacle. The halo, whilst I understand the reasoning for its existence has been poorly implemented. The TV viewers who are most likely paying more this year for their subscription fees are seeing less. The onboard is obscured horribly, the drivers are hidden in the pits behind the newly adapted TV monitors (that's great fan accessibility, Chase)
And what happens as the season rolls on, are we going to see fans paying admission etc for a Friday, only to have teams limit their running in FP 1 and 2 because of fears over engine mileage?

Maybe its because I am an old duffer who remembers how amazing and spelbinding F1 used to be, that I find it harder to see past all the faults and just enjoy the procession as I once did. Can I hang on until the fabled 2021 and new improved F1, am really not sure I want to continue to commit race weekends to the sport I have loved for such a very long time.

What a damn shame.

Mark
ps on a brighter note, great to see macca get both cars to the end and with some performance.

EDIT: just found my new motorsport passion. Not much engine saving going on here I reckon lol.
www.facebook.com/ConnectCarsLTD/videos/1975418665804948/
Ambition > Adhesion
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Clippy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: porks, Dale
6 months 3 weeks ago #11435
  • Tony
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 461
Nice post, straight from the heart Mark

I too have watched/followed/enjoyed F1for around 40yrs now & think its halcyon days were in the 90's

I find the halo hideous - an afterthought that makes a mockery of all the hard-won wind tunnel aerodynamics ..& those front wings are crazy now though, with all the little flutes/flaps/& end panels with more flutes & flaps... but all that started back in the early 70's really (or even earlier if you think of those wings suspended above the cars in '69)
They do have a real problem with the dirty air now - brought on by their own cleverness with all the aero stuff going on over/under/around & behind the car :pinch:

& as you say - the halo really does dominate/obstruct the forward-view from the onboard camera - it looks like some kind of contraption to put on when a rookie is driving - just doesn't look Formula 1 does it? But something like it was always going to happen after the tragedy of Jules Bianchi

Re. this season: as long as it's not a Merc lock-out as the season develops I'll watch, & I think Bahrain will sort out the real order of the cars, as Melbourne is a bit of an unusual & narrow old-school track that's nearly impossible to overtake on, & not really about pace

unless you're John that is :lol: :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: porks
6 months 3 weeks ago #11456
  • udell87
  • Administrator
  • F1SR
  • Thank you received: 155
A little gift from Fernando Alonso.

Fernando Alonso @alo_oficial 27 Mar

To my dear fans. Thanks for your loyal support, through the good times and bad. A ? to show my appreciation. A free subscription to @Motorsport PRIME- all the best F1 videos, news and pictures, for free.
Use the code ALONSO2018

link: www.motorsport.com/prime/promo/?code=ALONSO2018
PC - Windows 10 | I7 3770K | Asus P8Z77-V | MSI GTX 980 4GB | 8GB ram | Corsair CX500 PSU | Zalman z11 pro | Logitech G25 + SRW-S1 Rim | Simulaje quick release |
The following user(s) said Thank You: porks, Dale, Dani
6 months 3 weeks ago #11460
  • porks
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 524
Tony wrote:
Nice post, straight from the heart Mark

unless you're John that is :lol: :P

I do try :) especially in variable conditions :evil:

PC: Win10 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 1300X @3.7Ghz, Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 , 8Gb DDR4, NVidia GTX1070, Logitech G27 Wheel+Pedals.
5 months 1 hour ago #11875
  • Tony
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 461
Heh guys, apparently some Tag-Heuer grid girls will be gracing the start-finish at Monaco - just for Monaco that is, then they're back in their box with a lid on until Sochi, when the organisers there are also intending to defy Liberty Media's "modern look" grid, lol :whistle:
4 months 4 weeks ago #11876
  • F1lover
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 346
Great Post Mark, Now who here remembers the days when F1 Teams used to have Qualification engines just for Quali, then the mechanics would dive into the garage
working all night to mount the race engine!!!!

I hate F1 now and what it stands for... Very turned off by it all... And I thought "refueling" was being implemented again this year what happened to that?

I say make an OPEN Formula..... No wings no limits on engines....
F1SR Back Home!!!