TOPIC: Computer Freezing up
10 months 1 week ago #10794
  • Dale
  • Racing Legend
  • Thank you received: 108
Dale wrote:
Darn, had worked my way up to 7th, was picking up .1 -.2 lap on the car in front of me and bam, damn computer froze up again. Not sure what's going on, temps are good, mid 60's and CPU temps are good, about the same, just not sure what's going on.
I saw it happen as was just behind you Dale
First question is - does it happen with any other sim? If not, then it's to do with rF2
While I was putting in some practice online earlier in the day with 5 ai. cars on track I also had 2 or 3 short freezes while driving along that fast stretch. But later on when everyone was online all was OK

You could check whether Windows was trying to do an update at that time? - check in Settings that it can't do this while in game-mode

I know you mentioned Temps were ok - did this include your graphic card, as that could've shut down if stressed & over-hot? - what card is it?

Was it the Internet connection even?
"Quote Tony"

So yes, I've been testing all morning, it's happening across all three mods that I run, rFactor2, PCars2 and Assetto Corsa. No rhyme or reason to it that I can see, yesterday I was using MSI Afterburner just a little bit of over clocking, had the graphs running so I knew my card wasn't even really being pushed hard, testing today without the card it didn't matter, tried running this morning with nvidiaInspector and graphing with that too, same thing, plenty of more room to OC, temps in the mid 60's for both the CPU & GPU, no spikes in usage for ram or clock when it happens. No updating happening although yesterday during practice it froze and I came to find out Windows decided to update then but all the other times nothing special going on, anti virus running normally too.

Spec's I have GTX 970 card and an intel 3.77 chip overclocked to 4.3 with a cooler on it, 16 Gig's memory. As I said temps never get over 70C.
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Dale.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
10 months 1 week ago #10795
  • porks
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 532
Hi Dale,

When I get freezes in Windows and cant find a CPU or GPU related cause its usually two things. The Windows Search Indexer Service is thrashing the disc or Windows Update is doing the same. They are both very intensive on HDD usage. Windows Update downloads in the background if you are on Win10 and then stores it for the update, so it may look as though nothing is happening when it is actually doing something. I usually go to shutdown at the end of the evening to find its doing an update I was not aware of.

I would not think its your PC specs as they are fairly good. Windows 10 Search Indexer can be an arse if you are on an old style mechanical drive?

The only other thing I can think is that the nVidia driver has updated recently.

PC: Win10 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 1300X @3.7Ghz, Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 , 8Gb DDR4, NVidia GTX1070, Logitech G27 Wheel+Pedals.
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by porks.
10 months 1 week ago #10800
  • Dale
  • Racing Legend
  • Thank you received: 108
Yes, I did update the driver but that was after I started having this issue pop up. I did turn off indexing but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not but since I haven't had any issues, yes I do not have a SATA drive, wish I did though. Since I disabled the indexing Microsoft Edge doesn't work, hmmm.

One thing though, is that the game isn't seeing my video card sometimes, if I alt-tab out and then back in it will grab it, not sure what that's about, I've done a ton of reading and research but haven't found anything conclusive.
Last Edit: 10 months 1 week ago by Dale.
10 months 1 week ago #10801
  • F1lover
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 346
Dale are you running in Windowed mode? or Full screen? try windowed mode...
F1SR Back Home!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: porks
10 months 1 week ago #10834
  • Ferrari655
  • Racing Legend
  • Thank you received: 170
Had the purple and green bar up while testing the CART cars in server last night and all looks fairly normal (green up on max and purple 1/4 across).

However after 1/2 hour or so i get the freeze and the purple bar max's out to the right...then goes down and im back on track. Weird as the helicoptors keep moving just the car nails itself to the track.

I've now updated Nvidia drivers and cleared loads of crap off the PC so lets see ;)
10 months 1 week ago #10835
  • porks
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 532
Dale wrote:
Yes, I did update the driver but that was after I started having this issue pop up. I did turn off indexing but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not but since I haven't had any issues, yes I do not have a SATA drive, wish I did though. Since I disabled the indexing Microsoft Edge doesn't work, hmmm.

One thing though, is that the game isn't seeing my video card sometimes, if I alt-tab out and then back in it will grab it, not sure what that's about, I've done a ton of reading and research but haven't found anything conclusive.

You can turn indexing on and off Dale, turn it off when you are gaming.
Is your Card seated properly in the slot and also uninstall the drivers with this and reinstall them from scratch www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-dri...taller-download.html it may be as simple as a driver issue.

Another thing you can do is if you have GeForce Experience installed, uninstall and reinstall that and check if the Windows screen recording software is running and turn it off as sometimes it can conflict with Nvidia's.

It could but its rare, also be your power supply on the way out, check the voltages are stable on the card and cpu.

PC: Win10 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 1300X @3.7Ghz, Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 , 8Gb DDR4, NVidia GTX1070, Logitech G27 Wheel+Pedals.