TOPIC: Rift
1 year 9 months ago #4272
  • lasercutter
  • International Driver
  • Thank you received: 36
anyone else got/getting a rift or vive (or even the sensics headset) ?
I have to say I'm a total VR convert and I don't think I'll ever be able to just use a monitor again with any sense of satisfaction.
It's still not perfect but in a few years the tech will be there to make this the only way to race, I'm convinced of that.

If you've yet to try VR then try and find a Shop near you (Some Currys and PC world in the UK) that has a demo unit or if you're passing my way I'd gladly let you try it, I'm officially hooked.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
1 year 9 months ago #4282
  • lasercutter
  • International Driver
despite the overwhelming responses in this thread I'm sure someone else would find VR to their liking so I'm going to try and convert at least one of you.
I found driving using the rift the most immersive simulation of racing a car I've ever driven (and I've driven the Red Bull simulator) describing the experience is like trying to describe colours to a blind person, you just have to try it.

Look here... live.oculus.com/search/uk and see if there's a store near you to give it a go

Then come back and let me know what you thought.
1 year 9 months ago #4283
  • Acestumacher
  • Administrator
  • F1SR Modding!
  • Thank you received: 594
Must admit Dave I am tempted to explore this rift further, cant find anywhere near me to test one though, but going by what I have read I wouldn't be disappointed.

Edit, just reserved a demo at John Lewis for this Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Acestumacher.
1 year 9 months ago #4284
  • lasercutter
  • International Driver
Lol...was just going to say there is one at John lewis in Norwich

Not sure what they will be putting on the demo but I've not tried one that I haven't been impressed by yet.

Just to give you an Idea of what it's been like for me, I had a race against the AI in some F3 cars at Knockhill and went side by side with another car into turn one, we touched wheels and he got launched over me.......I ducked in my chair so he didn't hit me :)
1 year 9 months ago #4285
  • adamfarmer
  • National Racer
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi,

I'm sure the lack of responses on this thread are related more to money than interest! I have started a VR savings jar - but have a looooong way to go! I can imagine it being fantastic for sim racing.

Thanks for the mini review.
1 year 9 months ago #4286
  • lasercutter
  • International Driver
Yeah, it's not the cheapest thing to buy if you need to upgrade the pc too, luckily all I needed was a new USB card to get mine ready.
For people on a budget there is an alternative to the rift and vive that is a couple of hundred pounds cheaper... vrsource.com/osvr-hdk2-399-e3-2016-1917/
I don't know much about it but had I heard of it before buying the rift I'd certainly have looked into buying instead as I think this technology is going to develop at a rapid rate, my guess is that in 5 years time the rift and vive of today will be like comparing a megadrive to a PS4

It's hard to do a proper review of something like VR because it's so difficult to convey what it's like, it really does need to be experienced , but here are just a few of my views on it.
Pros:
The 3d feels very natural and tracks just look and feel so different with elevation, camber and bumps so much better defined.
The 3d also adds scale to tracks, driving around a track like Singapore I found myself looking up at skyscrapers instead of where I was going, fences and walls seem much more imposing on street tracks too.
Judging distance between cars is so much easier and looking left or right to see who is alongside is done as naturally as it would be in your real car.
The same applies to looking to the apex and I found myself looking further up the track as you would in reality.
In my opinion it's way better than using triple screen, I've used the Red Bull F1 simulator and the visual experience is better than I got on there, it also takes up much less room than triple screens.
It's just really good.

Cons:
you can't avoid the fact it's still like strapping a phone to your face and looking at it with a magnifying glass, you can see pixels and if that bothers you then wait a few years until they display is 4k x 4k for each eye when it might be a lot better (you'll miss a lot of fun waiting though)
you need a fairly high end pc to use it
You look a bit of a tit with it strapped to your face
Some people get motion sickness using it (I do a bit in apps other than driving sims)
It's still very early tech
you can't see your wheel, shifter or button boxes
rF2 hasn't implemented VR support....yet.

It won't be everyones cup of tea, and I really thought someone else might have taken the plunge already so wanted to compare notes,.
I can honestly say it's a game changer for me, not sure I want to race without it now